Collaborative Innovation Center of Terahertz Spectrum and Imaging Technology
Group Leader ：Professor Zhu Yiming, graduated from University of Tokyo Japan. He is a member of the prize-jury of Young Scientist Award by the International Society of Infrared Millimeter wave and Terahertz, Director of China Instrument and Control Society, and Director of China Optical Engineering Society and so on. Returning to China, he set out to build the Terahertz technology laboratory single-handed. After 10 years’ hard work, he has developed the laboratory into “Shanghai Collaborative Innovation Center of Terahertz Spectrum and Imaging” (2015), “the Pilot Test Base of Terahertz spectrum and imaging products” at Shanghai Zhangjiang High-tech Industrial Development Zone (2015), and Shanghai International Joint Laboratory of Terahertz Technology (2017). He has published more than 70 papers in SCI journals as the first author or correspondent author, of which 41 papers are of the top 5% cutting-edge research in optical engineering, including 4 papers of top 3% of ESI. His publications have been cited 804 times. He has presided 8 national-level research projects, has been granted 40 invention patents, seven of which have been used or transferred, accumulating fund up to 30.64 million yuan.
Team Members: The center has employed 12 leading talents in the international terahertz field, including Gu Min, foreign academician of the Chinese Academy of Engineering, and Australian Academy of Sciences; American MIT Chair Professor Hu Qing; Professor Alexander Shkurinov, Director of the Terahertz Center of Moscow University, Russia; Professor Paul Urbach, President of the European Optical Society, etc.
Address: New Building of the School of Optical Engineering and Computer Science, University of Shanghai for Science and Technology, No. 516 Jungong Road, Shanghai
Contact person: Zhu Yiming
The Collaborative Innovation Center of Terahertz Spectrum and Imaging Technology is oriented to the major needs of biomedicine and national defense security. With University of Shanghai for Science and Technology as the leading unit and University of Electronic Science and Technology of China as the vice president unit, and close cooperation with other universities, research institutes, enterprises and clients units. The Center has been undertaking related collaborative innovation research at three levels: the related core devices of Terahertz spectrum and imaging, key technology of the system, and its related application in biomedicine and national defense.
Following the main line of developing practical Terahertz spectrum and imaging system, and setting its goal to satisfy the heavy demand from the national major food and drug and public security sectors, the center endeavors to overcome the technical problems of core components in terahertz system. It has successfully developed its core terahertz systems of proprietary intellectual property rights:
All-fiber terahertz spectrum system in time domain, because of its international first-class performance, was first used by the General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine of China, Shanghai Metro, etc.
Active terahertz imaging security system was put to use in Shenzhen Customs.
1. National Major Basic Research Project 973 Program: Active Terahertz Imaging System and Its Applied Basic Research.
2. Ministry of Science and Technology Major Scientific Instruments and Equipment Development Special Program: Coupling Key Technologies of Terahertz Detectors and Integrated Antenna Technology Research.
3. National Quality Foundation Common Technology Research and Application Project Sub-topic (Collaboration) Granted by the Ministry of Science and Technology: Research on Terahertz Key Parameter Measurement Standards.
4. National Natural Science Foundation of China Outstanding Youth Fundation: Research on Terahertz Spectrum and Imaging Technology.
5. National Natural Science Foundation of China: Broad-Spectrum Regulation of Terahertz Radial Polarization.
6. National Natural Science Foundation Youth Foundation of China: Femtosecond Laser Filaments Produce Terahertz Waves and Their Interaction Mechanism with Medium.
7. National Natural Science Foundation Youth Foundation of China: Research on the Mechanism of Complex Waveform Excitation and Electromagnetic Field Propagation in Waveguide Array.
Following the main line of developing practical Terahertz spectrum and imaging system, and with its goal to satisfy the heavy demand from the biomedical and national defense sectors, the center
(1) has successfully developed its core Terahertz components, such as broadband Terahertz radiation sources and various Sub-wavelength Terahertz functional device.
(2) has solved the core technical problems of a series of systems, such as high gain receiving antenna, high SNR lock-in amplification signal reading system, all-fiber dispersion compensation technology, etc., the center has finally developedall-fiber Terahertz spectrum system in time domain and active Terahertz scanning imaging system.
(3) has also conducted the application research based on these systems including brain glioma detection, security check, and Terahertz imaging radar, etc.
Several innovative achievements have been made in the new principle, new structure, new system and new application. In the past three years, more than 300 papers focusing on the field of Terahertz has been published in SCI journals, of which more than 40 were published in Top journals like Nature, 10 were ESI papers. The internationally recognized Elsevier data showed that in the five years from 2009 to 2013 University of Shanghai for Science and Technology had been at the first place, as far as the total number of papers and the number of high-cited papers were concerned, leading the world in the field of “Terahertz Surface Plasma” etc. Products developed by the joint efforts with enterprises have won international biddings and have been exported to Pakistan, etc.. At present, the center has co-built in Shanghai the Huatai Aurora Optoelectronics Technology Co., Ltd. with the North Optoelectronics Group, winning the first order of its kind for the transformation of scientific and technological achievements in universities and colleges of China.